Residential Services

planning ahead for next summer?

Check back in January, when we'll post updated information and the general course listings for 2018. If you join our email list, we'll contact you when the information is live.

Join Our Email List

The following encompasses the services and amenities available to students who live in on-campus housing.

On this page:

Building services and amenities

Computer accounts and connections

Summer School students can connect their own computers to the campus wired or wireless network. Printer rooms in Canaday, Lionel, and Straus Hall along with computer labs in the Houses are open to Summer School students living on campus. Computer labs and printers are available in the Science Center and at 53 Church Street for those who prefer not to bring computer equipment with them over the summer. 

Custodial and cleaning services

Communal (hall) bathrooms are cleaned daily; individual suite bathrooms are cleaned once per week. During the summer, questions about custodial and cleaning services should be directed to your House or Yard building manager.

Laundry facilities

Laundry rooms are available in each House and the following dormitories: Canaday, Greenough, Hurlbut, Pennypacker, and Wigglesworth Hall. Machines can be operated by quarters or with Crimson Cash ($1.50 wash, $1.50 dry). You can also see if there are washers or dryers available online at laundryview.com.

Use the cold or warm (colors) cycle when possible to preserve the quality of your clothes and save energy. Do not overuse detergent — too much detergent can also damage your clothes. Consider air-drying your clothing on a rack or using the air fluff setting on the dryers. Aside from reducing energy usage, these actions will also save your clothes from being damaged in the dryers. Most drying racks are collapsible, and can fit in a closet or under a bed. 
A word of caution: do not leave laundry unattended; thefts do occur. Also, do not use dye in washing machines. 

Harvard Students Agencies (HSA) also offers a professional laundry and dry cleaning service. Pick-up and drop-off will be at 69 Mount Auburn Street. If you have any questions about the laundry or dry cleaning service, call (617) 496-3412 or e-mail summer@hsa.net. Find additional information and place online orders on the HSA website.

Vending Machines

Vending machines are located in several student dormitories, including Canaday, Greenough, and Hurlbut Hall. The vending machines have been recently updated, to provide students with a wider array of snack options and to allow the use of Crimson Cash. Vending machines are on-site of each house.

Telephone service

Your room assignment will determine your telephone setup. A telephone set is provided to one common room per suite in most buildings. Features include: emergency 911 calls, incoming calls, toll-free outbound calls, and call waiting. The set must remain in the common room when you leave; a replacement charge will be assessed to you if the phone is removed or damaged. Rooms in Dunster House do not have a telephone. See the Harvard telephone services website or call the Harvard Student Telephone Office at (617) 495-4900 for more information.

Prepaid domestic and international long distance service is available through MobileSphere, a Harvard service provider. Sign up online. There are no fees or surcharges (except from payphones) and the service can be used from dorm, cell, or home phones. Your own calling card or debit card may also be used to make long distance calls.

Additionally, students may opt in to the Harvard University emergency notification system, MessageMe, which will send an SMS message to subscriber cell phones in the event of an emergency. Enroll at www.messageme.harvard.edu.

Trash and recycling

Trash: students must take all their trash in tied trash bags to one of several trash depots located throughout the residences. Under no circumstances should litter or trash be left in the hallways, stairways, entryways, bathrooms, or outside the building.

Recycling: Harvard uses single stream recycling, so all eligible items may be placed in the same bin. See Harvard Housing Recycling Guide for information on what to recycle. You can also learn how to get involved in Harvard’s green initiatives.

Trash and recycling depots for the Yard and Union dorms are located at Canaday, Greenough, Hurlbut, Straus, and Wigglesworth Hall. Trash and recycling depots are on-site of each house.

US mail/baggage

It is important that you use the mailing address listed below your housing assignment and the words “Harvard Summer School” on all your Summer School mail and baggage. If your address is not complete, or if it does not include the words “Harvard Summer School,” your mail and baggage will be delayed or returned to sender. All baggage charges must be prepaid. Do not send packages to 51 Brattle Street (the Summer School administrative offices).

Mail and baggage are delivered directly to the Houses or the Harvard Yard Mail Center, depending on your housing assignment. The Harvard Yard Mail Center is located in the basement of the Science Center. 

Package pick-up hours in the Science Center during the summer are:

Monday thru Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm

Saturday of Opening Weekend, 10am to 2pm

Sunday of Opening Weekend, 11am to 3pm

Building resources


Houses: security guard in building manager’s office from 4 pm–8 am.

Yard and Union: security guards are on duty 24 hours a day.

Lost keys

Report lost keys and ID cards to the Registrar’s Office (located in 51 Brattle Street, Room 421, 4th floor) or, after hours, to the Harvard Police as soon as you are reasonably certain they have, in fact, been lost. This is extremely important not only for your security, but also for the security of fellow residents. 

If you need to replace your room key, go to the Registrar's Office to obtain a Replacement Key Authorization Form. Take this form to the Student Financial Services Office (located at 51 Brattle Street, 1st floor) to pay the $20 replacement fee, then proceed as follows to pick up your replacement key:

  • If you live in a House: go to your building manager’s office.
  • If you live in the Yard or Union dormitories, go to Harvard Yard Operations (located in the basement of Weld Hall). 

The charge for keys not returned at the end of the summer is $50.00 each.

Harvard keys may not be copied. All University keys are labeled with special coding. Only keys properly labeled will be accepted for return at the end of the summer. If your keys have been lost or stolen and you have reason to believe that your security has been compromised, you and your suitemates may ask to have your lock changed. The cost of replacing the lock and keys is $150.00.

ID Cards

See ID Cards for more information regarding a replacement Harvard ID card. 


If you are locked out of your room and cannot reach your roommate (if applicable), proceed as follows:

  • For the Houses: see the building manager or security guard for assistance any time Monday through Friday. For assistance on weekends, call the Harvard University Police, (617) 495-1212.
  • For the Yard and Union dormitories: go to the guard at Widener Gate or call the Harvard University Police, (617) 495-1212, for assistance any time, day or night.

Please have your Harvard ID card ready, as it will be useful to verify your identity before allowing you back into the room. Response time varies based on the number and nature of calls. Be patient. 

Maintenance requests

House building managers and dormitory custodians are experienced in handling routine maintenance requests. These should be submitted through the electronic work request system.

Emergency work requests must be made directly to the building manager’s office by phone or in person. After-hour emergency maintenance calls should be directed to the Operations Center at (617) 495-5560.

Have a question?

Our Enrollment Services team is here to help.

Request Information