The transcript is your complete and official Division of Continuing Education record. It includes credit and noncredit courses and grades from all Summer School and Extension School terms during which you have been enrolled and, when appropriate, withdrawal and disciplinary notations.

Transcripts for Extension School degree, graduate certificate, and diploma candidates also include relevant program information, GPA, and academic standing.

Official transcripts are embossed and signed by the registrar. They may be sent directly to third parties or to you in sealed, signed envelopes for delivery to third parties. Student copies are unofficial transcripts and are neither embossed nor signed. They are marked “Issued to Student” and sent directly to you.


You may request your transcript online or submit a Transcript Request form as soon as your grades are available. There is no charge for transcripts. But Academic Services may limit the number of transcripts per request. 

Deliver or mail your request to:

Academic Services
51 Brattle Street
Cambridge, MA 02138-3722

You should allow a minimum of 48 business hours from the date of receipt for processing. It may take as long as a week to process requests during busy periods. Official transcripts are not issued to third parties if you have not met your financial and library obligations to Harvard University. Unofficial transcripts are issued directly to you in such cases; they include a statement explaining the obligation to the University.

Hague Apostille

A certification or legalization is generally needed for US documents that leave the United States for recognition in the country of intended use. International students and US students living, working, and studying outside the United States may need to have their transcripts and diplomas authenticated by a designated federal authority. This authentication takes the form of a certification called an apostille as approved by the 1961 Hague Convention.

To obtain the apostille, submit a request for a notarized copy of your transcript. The notarized copy is issued to you in a signed, sealed envelope. Bring the notarized document to the Commissions Section, Room 1719, McCormack Building, 1 Ashburton Place, Boston, MA 02108 for certification and the apostille. Or mail the necessary documentation to the above address. For more information about the documents and information needed, as well as fees for each certification and apostille, see Certifications and Apostilles on the Secretary of the Commonwealth website.

The Summer School does not notarize Extension School diplomas. Instead, the Academic Services Office writes a letter verifying the degree and includes the following information in the letter as appropriate: the student’s name; degree, certificate, or diploma received; date of receipt; area of concentration; field of study; honors. The letter is signed by the associate registrar for Academic Services or the assistant registrar for Academic Services.