Study abroad program directors look for mature, academically motivated students who are willing to broaden their horizons, experience a challenge, and grow as a person.
Before applying, it is important to carefully consider the mental, emotional, and physical challenges of study abroad and to familiarize yourself with the country of interest. Program staff can answer any questions you may have. Please read the policies and frequently asked questions prior to applying.
- Early December: Program applications become available online
- December 5: Summer School Study Abroad Fair (for Harvard College students), which is part of the OCS Summer Opportunities Fair. Held at the Student Organization Center at Hilles from 12 to 4 pm.
- January 29, 2015: Application deadline for most programs
Who can apply
Harvard study abroad programs are selective. To apply, students must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have completed at least one year of college or be a first-year student
- Be in good academic standing
All programs are limited enrollment.
How to apply
For most programs, application requires a completed online application, including a statement of interest in the program, a $50 application fee, and a transcript. Some programs may require additional application materials and interviews.
Program-specific instructions are outlined on each program’s webpage. Browse our list of programs on the main study abroad page.
Resources for Harvard College students
Before applying, students should research programs thoroughly and contact faculty or Summer School staff with any questions.
Speak with staff
Summer School staff are available to answer general questions about Harvard Summer School study abroad experiences. E-mail email@example.com or call (617) 998-8593.
Summer School program surveys can offer Harvard College students insight and advice. Surveys from many of our programs are kept in the Office of International Education (OIE) resource room and available for reading.