Study abroad program directors look for mature, academically motivated students who are willing to broaden their horizons, experience a challenge, and grow as a person.
Before applying, it is important to carefully consider the mental, emotional, and physical challenges of study abroad and to familiarize yourself with the country of interest. Program staff can answer any questions you may have. Also read the frequently asked questions.
- Early December: Program applications become available online
- December 7: Summer School Study Abroad Fair for Harvard College students, held in Radcliffe Gym
- January 31: Application deadline for most programs
- By late February: Students are notified of admission decisions
Harvard College students: see the resources page for study abroad fair information.
Who can apply
Harvard study abroad programs are selective. To apply, students must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have completed at least 1 year of college or be a first-year student
- Be in good academic standing
All programs are limited enrollment.
How to apply
For most programs, application requires a completed online application (available for most programs in early December), including a statement of interest in the program, a $50 application fee, and a transcript. Some programs may require additional application materials and interviews.
Program-specific instructions are outlined on each program’s webpage. Browse our list of programs on the main study abroad page.
Payment and funding options
To determine the deposit amount, submit payments, or find funding information (for Harvard College students), see Funding and Payment.