ID Cards

Harvard ID cards provide access to on-campus facilities and resources, such as:

  • Harvard libraries and museums
  • Computer labs and athletic facilities
  • Residential Houses and dorms
  • Annenberg dining hall
  • Crimson Cash

Harvard ID cards are issued during Opening Weekend, June 21 and 22, to students who do not already have an active Harvard ID card. Please note ID cards are issued in-person and cannot be mailed.

How do I get my ID card?

For your ID card to be ready on Opening Weekend, complete the following steps by May 23:

  • Obtain a government-issued photo ID. You must present a government-issued photo ID to pick up your ID card. It must include your full legal name, date of birth, a photo, and an expiration date in the future. Examples include:
  • Passports
  • Driver’s licenses, permits, and state-issued ID cards
  • US Military ID cards
  • Green cards and naturalization certificates
  • Verify your name and date of birth in online services. These must match exactly the full legal name and date of birth printed on your government-issued photo ID. If they do not, submit a biographical information changes form immediately. 
  • Learn your Harvard ID number and request a Harvard PINYou must have these before you can submit an ID card photo.
  • Submit your ID card photo using the Harvard ID card photo submission application. Log in to online services and select “ID Photo Information” for photo criteria and full instructions. You may not e-mail or send physical photos.

If you are unable to upload your photo, you may have your photo taken at 51 Brattle St. before June 18. Visit us during business hours and bring a government-issued photo ID.

If you do not complete these steps in advance, you will experience a longer Opening Weekend check-in. Your photo will be taken and ID card made if necessary, which may temporarily delay your access to Harvard facilities and services.

Lost, stolen, or broken ID cards

Lost cards should be reported immediately to the Summer School Registrar’s Office. A $25 fee is charged for each replacement card, payable at Student Financial Services (4th floor, 51 Brattle Street).

Stolen cards must be reported first to the Harvard University Police Department (617-495-1212), then to the Registrar’s Office. The replacement fee will be waived for stolen cards if you provide a copy of the police report.

Broken cards and cards not functioning properly should be taken to the Campus Service Center. Do not throw away broken cards. Staff will assist you and replace your card if necessary. There is no charge for replacement of broken cards.


Please contact the Registrar’s Office at (617) 495-4024 or e-mail