Secondary School Program Admissions
Sign Up for 2020 Updates
Information on this page applies to 2019 programs only. Our 2020 program information will be online mid-fall. Join our email list, and we’ll contact you when the information is updated.
The Secondary School Program application cycle for 2019 is now over.
Eligibility for 2020
The admissions committee is looking for mature, academically motivated students who meet both the following criteria:
- Will graduate from high school and enter college in 2020, 2021, or 2022
- Are at least 15 years old by December 1, 2019, and will not turn 19 years old before July 31, 2020
How To apply
The Secondary School Program application will open in mid December. Do not complete the application on your smartphone. Please use a laptop or PC. Keep in mind that you may only apply for the Pre-College Program or the Secondary School Program.
Complete an online application and provide supplemental materials, including:
- The $75 nonrefundable application fee
- Counselor report: you can request a link be sent to your counselor in the application.
- Transcripts from ninth grade to fall 2019 grades: this can include progress reports, report cards, and educational summaries from your high school.
- If English is not your native language, submit scores from the TOEFL iBT or IELTS language proficiency exam along with your application.
The account must be created, and the application must be completed, by the prospective student and not by parents/guardians, agents, counselors, or anyone else.
- No fee is required to start your application. You will be asked to pay the nonrefundable application fee only upon submitting the application.
- Choose your program before you start. Keep in mind that you may only apply to one program: the Secondary School Program or Pre-College Program.
- Use a desktop or laptop when completing your application. You will be asked to write short essays as part of your application. This may be challenging to do on a mobile phone. Therefore, we advise using a desktop or laptop computer for completing your application.
- Watch your inbox—you’ll receive an email prompting you to log in to check your application status approximately three weeks after you’ve completed your application.
Admissions decisions are only valid for the summer term in which you apply. You may not defer admission to the program to a subsequent summer term.
If you are not a US citizen or permanent resident, an F-1 student visa is required to study on campus. To be issued the F-1 student visa, you must first obtain an I-20 certificate of eligibility from Harvard Summer School. Be sure to read International Student Guidelines.
2020 Application Deadlines
|Financial aid application deadline:||TBD|
|Second round financial aid application deadline:||TBD|
|International residential students:||TBD|
|Domestic residential students:||TBD|
|Commuting and online students:||
Admissions decisions are made on a rolling, first-come, first-served basis, and the selection process is very competitive.
There is no minimum GPA requirement. We evaluate all information submitted—including transcripts, counselor reports, and your GPA—when considering your application. You are welcome to submit PSAT, SAT, or ACT test scores, but they are not required.
Apply early, as space in the program is limited.
If English is not your native language, take one of the required proficiency tests early to ensure you get your scores in time to apply early in the application cycle.
- Track our receipt of your supplementary materials by logging into your application. You want to be sure that we have all of your application materials on hand.