Accepted into the Pre-College Program? This page will help you stay on top of important deadlines and procedures for participating in the Pre-College Program. Check back frequently for updates and reminders.
|Course registration||Please see the Pre-College Calendar for all important deadlines|
|For early applicants:||
Thursday, February 27 at 9 a.m. ET
|For regular applicants||Tuesday, April 7|
|Financial aid recipients deadline:||
Early: Friday, March 13
Regular: Friday, April 24
Your award may be rescinded if you do not register for classes by this date.
|Program payment deadline||Thursday, April 30|
ACCEPTING YOUR ADMISSION TO THE PROGRAM
Upon acceptance, be sure to complete the following requirements to reserve your space in the Pre-College Program.
1. Enroll in Pre-College Program
Accept your admission to the program at the bottom of the admission letter. Once you respond yes to our offer an email will be sent to you with next steps.
2. Register for course(s) and submit payment
Register for your course(s) using your DCEKey.
Payment: Log in and pay in the Student Finance Portal in your Online Services account with a credit card. Once you have selected your course(s) you will submit full payment for the program fee of $3,200 no later than April 30.
Please note: You must pay for all courses for which you have registered or placed yourself on the course waitlist prior to the payment deadline. Harvard Summer School reserves the right to remove you from courses for nonpayment. If you intend to only attend one course, please drop yourself from all other courses and waitlists prior to payment deadline.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT COURSE
Pre-College Program courses are an extraordinary opportunity for you to stretch yourself academically and intellectually.
Newly admitted students can register for a new course until the session deadlines using online services. All course changes after the 100 percent refund date of May 18 need to be approved by the Pre-College team. Students can fill out the 2020 Pre-College Course Registration Changes Form and upload the form into the document management section of online services using the Pre-College Add Drop box.
All withdrawals also need to follow this process for course changes and submit the form.
To select the best course for you, we encourage you to:
- Consider your interests, goals, and previous experiences. What have you already studied? Is there a subject that you do not have the opportunity to learn about in high school? What might you want to study in college? Keep in mind that all courses will be academically rigorous.
- Consider course availability for each session. If the course you are interested is full in one session, check to see if it is offered during another session. If you can’t decide between two courses, you may have the opportunity to take both courses by attending multiple sessions.
- Check the course meeting time. Although courses are taught in an online format, classes are synchronous, which means you need to be present for the webconference. We understand that it may be difficult for students who are not in Eastern Time to participate in synchronous courses but feel it is important to maintain the seminar style academic experience. Please note: you must attend all of your online classes in their entirety to receive a passing grade of AR.
- Check the prerequisites. Be sure that you meet the requirements to register for the course that interests you.
- Create a list of several courses that excite you—and register early. Most courses are limited to 12 to 18 students and fill up quickly. Be sure to register as soon as possible and have several alternative courses in mind in case your top choice is not available.
All Pre-College Program courses are designed to be small in number. Once a course is full, you may be able to sign up for the same course in another session or choose to join the course’s waitlist. Students who have not paid the full program fee by April 30 are removed from both courses and waitlists. Be sure to drop any extra courses or waitlists if you only paid for one course. Once the program payment deadline has passed, course spaces may open within five to 10 business days.
ACTIVITIES BEYOND THE CLASSROOM
In the Harvard Pre-College Program, you have the opportunity to choose from dozens of co-curricular activities to participate in each week. These opportunities help ensure that you have a well-rounded experience. All events will be online in Summer 2020. It is your responsibility to successfully attend and engage in least one academic exploration and one college readiness event, as well as three community engagement meetings with your Resident Directors (RD) over the course of the program. Attending social events is optional but encouraged.
Academic Exploration: Lectures and discussions with Harvard scholars to give you a taste of the questions that drive various academic disciplines.
College Readiness: Workshops to help you develop and practice critical academic skills to support transition and success in college.
Social Activities: Events hosted by the Harvard Summer School Student Activities Office. Events include Harvard trivia, movie nights, and virtual tours.
Community Engagement with your RD: Discussions and a time for students to get to know each other.
You have the freedom to choose the events you attend online, but also the responsibility to challenge yourself by learning new skills and engaging with new ideas. We hope that each opportunity is a rich and rewarding one for you.